Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Where I have been

It's been a while since I last blogged. I have had plenty of time for blogging, but unfortunately the wi-fi is down at my new apartment, so the only way I can access the internet is by going to Steve's parents house.

Things are going good here. I can't say they are great, because I don't have a job yet. It seems as if the stars are stacked against me in the job departmenet at this time. For starters, the wi-fi is down, so I can't go on the various job sites from home. Next, my resume is burned on a disc in the Microsoft Word program. Neither Steve nor his parents have Word on their computers. My resume doesn't convert right into WordPad. So while I can email it as an attachment, I can't open it to tweak it for the specific job I'm applying for. Also, Steve is supposed to take the disc to work and print some copies for me to carry with me, but that also cannot be tweaked to the specific job. I had submitted some applications before I left Florida and a few online since I've been here, but so far I have not heard anything on any of those.

Over the weekend Steve and I went to the mall. Everyone was taking applications but no one was interested in hiring. What a blow to the ego, that I can't get a job at the mall. I don't really want to work at the mall, but I need to do something while I'm waiting for the perfect office job. Kohl's is hiring and I turned in an application, but I'm so afraid that I'm going to hear that I'm over-qualified based on all my office experience and my degree. I haven't worked retail since I was 15, and there weren't enough places on the application to go back that far.

I called the staffing company that I had submitted an online application to. Somehow there must have been a glitch in the system and they don't have my application. So I was making an appointment to go in and do everything in person. And then I was informed that due to all the illegal immigrants and the high identity theft rate in this state, a law was just passed that requires companies to run the social security card through some program. And to do that you have to have the social security card in hand. My mom lost my social security card when I was a little girl. At age 19, I thought maybe I should get a new one. I went to the awful social security office and filled out all the appropriate forms. In the meantime, while I was waiting to receive the card in the mail, I found someone to lease-purchase my condo. I went once a month to collect the rent, and I told her specifically to hold any mail that came. Instead of holding it she put return to sender. GRR! So I got busy with life and never got around to getting a new card. And in all my 28 years, I have never actually needed it. So go figure, now I do, and I can't get work without it. My mom was supposed to overnight my birth certificate last Friday, but it's Tuesday and she still has not sent it.

Along with my birth certificate she was also supposed to send the title to my car. When I got it she refused to let me hold onto it. She wanted to keep it in the safety deposit box at the bank, because if someone got ahold of it all they would have to do is sign it and the car would be theirs. She also said there was absolutely no reason that I would need it until I was going to sell the car. Wrong! I went to get my driver's license, new plates and registration and they can't give me permanent plates and registration here without the title. I was able to get my license and tempory tags with my Florida registration. Mom went to the bank and my title wasn't in the safety deposit box. So that means it's probably on her desk somewhere. Since she has company from out of town, I probably won't see my title or birth certificate for some time. Meanwhile, I'm submitting applications and resumes for jobs I can't work until I get a social security card.

Otherwise things are good. I've unpacked everything and gotten it mostly organized. We still have to hang decorations but most everything else has it's place. To my surprise, Luna only hid under the bed for the first day. She has now made this place her own. She isn't sleeping with us yet. Instead, to my dismay, she has learned to open the closet and sleeps in their under my clothes, furring-up the hems of my skirts and the bottoms of all my tops. She is starting to warm-up to Steve, and last night even looked to him for permission to come up on the couch, completely ignoring my invitation.

Most days I am bored until Steve gets home from work. I unpacked. I organized. I clean. I cook. I do the grocery shopping. I read. I've read 8 books since I've been here. I'm almost bored with reading. Nothing I have on my shelf seems to appeal to me at this point. I don't know how to work his TV. He explained it once, but it seemed complicated. Besides, I don't want to fall into the rut of being hooked into marathons of America's Next Top Model or redecorating shows. I'm lock a moth drawn to the light. I don't want to watch those things, but there is nothing else on... or something in the show catches my attention as I'm flipping channels... and before you know it the whole day has passed and I've been watching that crap all day.

I've read 47 books this year out of my goal of 50. At this rate I may have to up it to 75 or 100 seeing as the year is only a little over half over. I read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. I'm not a fan. I liked it slightly better than "1984" (which I absolutely hated). I don't like his bleak view of humanity. His books are almost scary. I prefer to have a more optimistic view on people and life in general.

I got "Blood Roses" by Francesca Lia Block in the mail. It's one of her new books, a book of 9 short stories. I usually love everything she writes; she has been my favorite writer for a long time. She is starting to strike out with my lately, starting with "Necklace of Kisses," the follow up to her Weetzie Bat stories. Weetzie seems to lost a lot of what made her magical in this book. Maybe I'm getting too old... but some of the stories in "Blood Roses" just didn't seem to make any sense. Some of the stories were easy to interpret, but in at least half of them her allusions and metaphors were lost on me. She has two other new books coming soon. I will buy them for my collection, as I have almost everything she has written, but I'm not getting my hopes up that they will be magic and beautiful and lovely as most of her past works have been.

The most interesting book I've read so far this month is "Belle De Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl" written anonymously by a British Prostitute. She is intelligent and witty, and she talks about things that can be quite shocking and not for the faint of heart. I'm sending it on to Jamey, with instructions to send it on to Emily when he finishes it.

This is my life at the moment. I could never be a house-wife. Well not unless I was a rich, high-society house-wife spending all my time volunteering, horseback riding, taking tennis lessons and gardening, but I can't really see myself living that kind of life. It might not be so boring to be a house-wife if there were kids to chase around and take care of. But it's just me and Luna home all day, and she doesn't really hold up her end of the conversation very well.

I will contine with my travel blogs soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

47 books?! Go you!! I tried doing 50 and I think I'm only at 20 :(

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Midnight Dreams Danced Among the Stars kit by Tangie