Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Review: Impossible by Nancy Werlin

ImpossibleImpossible by Nancy Werlin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow! I can't believe I let this book sit on my shelf for so long. It was really different and really good. Lucy Scarborough has loving foster parents and great friends. The one bad thing in her life is that her real mother is crazy and homeless and sometimes follows Lucy around, yelling crazy things, singing a different version of Scarborough Fair and throwing bottles. When Lucy is raped on the night of her prom, she discovers that her family has a dark course. Because her ancestor Fenella spurned the love of a fairy knight, he has coursed all Scarborough girls, generation after generation to have a daughter at 18 and go crazy. To break the course, Lucy must be able to solve the riddle of his version of Scarborough fair. With the help of a loving foster family, a clear head, and the boy next door who loves her, Lucy just might be able to beat this curse.

I liked Lucy a lot as a character. She let herself believe in the magic but kept a clear head. She fights for herself and for those around her. She doesn't give up when things look bad. Zach is the perfect guy for Lucy, and he gives so much of himself for love. I also love Soledad and Leo. I love that Lucy has a great relationship with her parents. The book broaches on some sensitive topics such as rape and teen pregnancy as well as mental health and homelessness issues, but it's done in a respectful way.

I can't wait to read more by this author. I loved this book. Even now that I am finished the song is haunting me. I love how the author took a song we've all heard, looked at the deeper meaning and possibilities and spun it into a magical story. Well done!

View all my reviews

No comments:

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Midnight Dreams Danced Among the Stars kit by Tangie